After a marital settlement is agreed upon, or a ruling and final judgment decreed by a trial judge, a divorce is considered final. If, however, the marriage settlement results in significant changes of circumstance, a petition may be filed by one party to revise the final position of the court. To seek a lawyer’s advice about the modification of a court order or decree after a divorce is final, contact our Boca Raton modification lawyers at Brodie & Friedman, P.A., to discover your rights and alternatives.

Modification of Child Support, Custody, Timesharing And Alimony

Because people’s needs, capacities and circumstances have a way of changing over time, Florida family laws provide for the modification of child support, child custody arrangements (parenting plans), time sharing or alimony.

Helping You Modify Support or Parenting Plans in Florida

Getting a family court judge to grant your motion to modify a child support, a parenting plan or an alimony order will depend on your ability to prove a significant change of circumstances that relates directly to the problem at hand. In cases involving child custody or visitation modifications (time-sharing modifications), you might also have to prove that the change you propose is in the best interests of the child involved.

Common Types Of Post-Judgement Modification

At Brodie & Friedman, P.A., our Boca Raton modification lawyers are experienced in handling of all types of family court orders, including:


  • Child support modification: Has either parent’s income increased or decreased due to a new job or losing a job? Have child care needs or health care needs significantly changed?
  • Child custody/parenting plan modification: Does a new job require you to move away, more than 50 miles? Has a change in your work schedule affecting your ability to accommodate the current time-sharing arrangement in the parenting plan?
  • Alimony or spousal support modification: Has your ex-spouse become self-supporting after a period of rehabilitation? Has he or she started living with another individual or remarried? Has your financial situation changed, affecting your ability to pay alimony?

When life changes, it is important that current court orders are adapted to accommodate those changes. Our Boca Raton modification lawyers can advise you of your rights and guide you through the legal process — whether you are requesting the modification or contesting it.

At Brodie & Friedman, P.A. our modification lawyer’s experience with Florida family law and procedure can give you a good idea of the likelihood that any proposed modification will be approved. If the change you have in mind won’t likely be granted, we’ll recommend that you save the money and trouble you would otherwise spend on a longshot court hearing. Similarly, if you’re inclined to oppose a motion for modification, we can help you pick your battles wisely.

For additional information, contact a family law attorney at Brodie & Friedman, P.A., in Boca Raton.

Our practical advice and formidable trial skills can benefit anyone who anticipates problems with property division, parenting plans, alimony or child support. To learn how our focus on your immediate and long-range interests can benefit you in a divorce of any complexity, contact Brodie & Friedman, P.A. in Boca Raton.